The Columbia Tennis League is the local
organization of the USTA in the Columbia, South Carolina metropolitan area. The
league features organized competition throughout the year for adults, seniors
and children. The adult, senior and junior team tennis leagues compete in the spring and fall.
The Mixed Doubles and Combo Doubles and Singles leagues compete in early and late summer.
Fall League now registering
Team registration for the fall leagues (18 & Over and 40 & Over, 55 & Over, 65 & over, 75 & over) runs July 17 - August 17, 2017. Fees are $20 per player for the 18, & 40 leagues and $15/player for the 55, 65 & 75 leagues. Everyone is encouraged to read the captain's letter. Team captains are also asked to complete the team information form. Good luck this fall!
Tennis Apprentice – New Classes Scheduled!
Tennis Apprentice is an all-inclusive tennis program for the beginner adult player! (18+)
This class is for beginner players or those getting back into the game who are non-USTA members.
Here’s the bargain we are offering for just $60!
- Six one hour lessons taught by an experienced professional
- A Head TI Conquest beginner racket
- One year USTA membership ($44 value)
- Pathway to USTA league tennis
- New friends and a new sport for life! (Priceless!)
Your payment of $60, along with the completed registration form reserves your spot! (Click here for form.) We take cash, check, or money order - made out to Columbia Tennis League (CTL). You can mail your check or drop it by!
Nan R. Smith
223 Aiken Hunt Circle
Columbia, SC. 29223
CTL is offering the following classes this summer:
Richland County Tennis Center – 7500 Parklane Road, 29223 (CLASS FULL)
Weekly: Tuesdays, June 6 – July 18: 6:30-7:30 PM
Greenview Park – 6700 David Street, 29203 (CLASS FULL)
Weekly: Wednesday, June 14 – July 19: 6:00-7:00 PM
- Spring Valley High School – 120 Sparkleberry Lane, 29223 (updated June12)
Weekly: Tuesday, July 11 – August 1: 9:00-10:30 AM (MORNING CLASS)
(FOUR classes @ 1 ½ hrs each week)
Teaching Pro: Weslynn Hutto
Minimum: 8 students
- Spring Valley High School – 120 Sparkleberry Lane, 29223
Weekly: Thursday, July 13 – August 3: 6:00-7:30 (updated June12)
(FOUR classes @ 1 ½ hrs each week)
Teaching Pro: Weslynn Hutto
TA2 - Tennis Apprentice 2 - New Program!
Calling all Tennis Apprentice "graduates" and current participants!!!
TA2 is a new FUN league program designed just for beginner players or players getting back into the game after a long absence! You must be a USTA member to participate.
Here's how it works:
• Individuals will register for TA2 via TennisLink. (Instructions below)
• We will divide you into teams and meet for matches in one location each week!
• When: Saturdays, 9:00-11:00 AM, July 8-August 26
• Where: Columbia Tennis Center, 1635 Whaley Street, Columbia, SC 29205
• Cost: $10 plus court fees
FYI - It is FINE if you cannot attend every week! We will have more players on each team than are needed for a match. This is the way "real" matches work.
• Session 1: We will divide you into teams. Teams will "meet and greet," select a "captain" and pay court fees for the season - usually $10-$15 per player for the entire season depending on number of players registered per team. Captain pays the facility. Nan Smith will give a presentation on duties of a captain, how leagues work, tennis etiquette, tiebreak scoring, answer questions, etc.
• Session 2-7: Teams will play matches each week. A team match will consist of 1 singles, 2 doubles courts. Players who are not scheduled to play in matches can come and cheer their team on and maybe get up a practice game with others! (In other words, you don't have to be present each week!)
• Session 8: Celebrate the season with fun play and games!
Setting up a USTA Account:
• At the conclusion of your TA class, you should have received your new USTA # via mail. Now, it's time to set up your account on TennisLink! This is necessary to register for any USTA League Teams or tournaments in the future!
• Go to http://tennislink.usta.com/Leagues/Common/Home.aspx
• Click on the red link on right side of page that says "Create a USTA account."
• Under "Create your USTA account" on right side of page, click on the "Create Account" link.
• There are two questions on the right: Click on the first option, "Do you have a USTA Membership but not a USTA Account?" You DO have a USTA membership!
• Once you set up your account, you should be able to self-rate. This account will be used to register for league play in the future, so be sure and write down and remember your User Name and Password!
• There will be an option to appeal your new self-rating if you think the one you are given is not correct. Please let me know if you file an appeal.
How to register for TA2:
• Sign into your USTA account
• Under the heading "Start Playing," click on "Register for a Team"
• Next screen will ask you for Team Number
• Team # for TA2 is: 7041266288
• Next screen will ask for your payment information
• Once you have completed and submitted your payment information, you will receive an email confirming registration for TA2 league.
2017 Combo Doubles League
The Combo Doubles league offers play for doubles teams whose players have different NTRP ratings. Team play has already started, but players may be added to team rosters through August 10, 2017. Fees are $17/player for the age 18 & up and 40 & up leauges. Fess are $15/player for the age 55 & up and 65 & up leagues. Play begins July 5. Please see the combo doubles captain's letter for complete details. Players are encouraged to review the 2017 local, state and sectional combo rules.
Captains are asked to complete the combo doubles team information form.
CTL Player wins trip!
Marlene Telesford Gardham was the BIG winner of the 2017 US Open trip from the South Carolina Tennis Patrons Foundation! The drawing was held this past weekend. One hundred fifty $100 tickets were sold raising $15,000 for the SCTPF, which provides grants and scholarships for junior tennis players in SC. Congratulations, Marlene! Marlene won the following:
- Roundtrip Airfare for 2 to New York
- Hotel For 3 nights at The Grand Hyatt adjacent to Grand Central Station, August 31, September 1, 2
- Invitations for 2 to the President’s Box Day or night session, Friday, September 1 Seating in the President's Courtside Box • Lunch or dinner in the President's Dining Room Hospitality in the President’s Suite • Bus transportation from the Grand Hyatt Hotel
- 2 tickets to Arthur Ashe Stadium Loge Seats Day session, Saturday, September 2, Includes bus transportation from the Grand Hyatt Hotel
Junior Team Tennis
We wrapped our JTT Beginner League at the Columbia Tennis Center Friday, May 12 with tennis games and a pizza party This season we had two divisions, Orange and Green Dot ball. Each match-day Friday we had on average 50 players attending. We tried something new this season with the players all meeting at one facility. The green dot players were organized and overseen by CTC pro Jeff Kefalos. They played traditional tennis with singles,doubles and mixed. The orange ball players were broken up into skill levels to play traditional singles and doubles or doubles with rallying for points. We had great parent participation on the courts which helped things run very smoothly. The kids really enjoyed it and so much improvement was made each week in their abilities.
We had teams from the Columbia Tennis Center, Greenview Park, The Rockbridge Club, Spring Valley Country Club and Old Woodlands Park. I want to thank all the parents who were flexible and going with the new format and one facilty. Many thanks to my pros Jeff Kefalos (CTC), Brian Clark (Spring Valley) and Domino Boulware ( Greenview Park) and Carlos Lozano ( Rockbridge Club) for fully supporting our beginners and trying something a bit different this season, plus Jim Hinson at Wildewood for being the CTL's long term supporter of JTT. Also many thanks to my two parent coaches Melanie Michel and Paige Haas who ran their weekly practices and for coming every Friday to help with the orange ball players and make it a great time for them.
A huge thank you to the Columbia Tennis League and their board for ALWAYS supporting JTT and giving me the green light to do and try anything to help more kids play tennis.
- Toni Odom, JTT coordinator